Until 1856, Ærø was in fact two islands connected by a
three-meter high stone bar, the so-called 'Drej' (an old Danish
word for isthmus). Between the two islands, West-Ærø and
Little-Ærø, was a large shallow, Gråsten Nor, named after the big
ducal estate located at the western end of Drejet.
Voderup Klint. Photo: Lars Sundshøj
The most significant geological sight is
Voderup Klint, which shields the island against the Baltic. The
moraine cliff, up to 30m high, contains Cyprina clay from the last
interglacial period. It is seen only here and at Ristinge Klint on
A bird sanctuary with breeding wading
birds and terns.
Vitsø Nor. Approx. 400 acres of a nature
preserve inlet that was navigable until around 1600. The Vitsø Nor
area, including Søbygaard and Søby Volde, contains
culture-historical values and flora and fauna connected with
commons, meadows and marshes.